Saturday, September 10, 2011

Sacrifice


Ten years ago today, my friend AJ and I were returning from a diving trip from the Bahamas.  We were getting ready to do a six month deployment on the USS Theodore Roosevelt.  Me as a Flight Surgeon, him as a pilot.  Among the group of friends at the time we were very much looking forward to a 'pleasure' cruise, one where we would make many port calls and attempt to burn the cities down with our antics.  Unfortunately this was not to be.  The next day, as we all know, nearly 3,000 people lost their lives when a group of men posing as true Muslims flew two airplanes into the World Trade Center, one into the Pentagon, and, due to the bravery of those on board, one into a field in Pennsylvania.  We were all changed that day and we became focused on one thing.  Avenge them.  And we did.  

Before that day, I had every intention of completing my time in the Navy then gracefully exiting stage left - on to bigger and better things.  But the things I learned from that time, and awe I felt as I watched 18 and 19 year old men and women doing some of the most dangerous jobs in the world for little pay and even less glory left me with a lasting impression.  This was no longer a starter job, this was going to be a way a life.

Since then I have trained entirely during a time in history that we have been at war and continue to wage war - although it's face and mission have chnaged - one truth continues.  There are still young men in women in harms way, men and women who have little skin in the game, but much fire in their heart.  Men and women who need someone to say 'I've got you if you fall'.  Many of my colleagues and I are those someone and we will continue to be there until everyone comes home.


The UK represents a group of countries much smaller than the US, on the order of a quarter of the size.  But they have suffered no less than us in this ongoing battle.  Quite differently than in the US, the entire Nation mourns the loss of life of one of their Soldiers or Marines.  Each time one is killed in Action they hold a Vigil for everyone on base to attend - and everyone attends.  This is a picture of one such Vigil.  It is very moving.





Every year there are somewhere between 70 to 100 Orthopaedic Surgeons from all branches of the military that deploy to hostile areas.  I would be remiss if I said I was the special in that sense - just because I deployed.  They all leave their families and loved ones to do what they have been trained to do.  They do their duty - sometimes begrudgingly - but they do it.  The point that I would like to make is that after ten years we continue to be gainfully, very gainfully, employed.  I'm certainly not the busiest surgeon that has deployed and I likely am probably fairly average in that regard.  We work in austere conditions and often times don't have the supplies we need.  We see horrific injuries that aren't seen in the average US hospital, and, humbly, are often times unable to help.  But, we get up every morning, dust off our boots and answer the call - constantly counting the days until we can go home again.  I often think about why we, as surgeons, make these kinds of sacrifices, and I believe that it is personal for each and every one of us.  For me it is a sacrifice worth making.


Day 106 BOG, 133 away from home.
All for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment