Friday, August 5, 2011

Dr. Poker to OR 4


The lax standards of sterility of OR's in the UK on display
(Yes that is 'near beer' we are drinking - it tastes horrible)

Trying to find things to do in our free time is somewhat difficult with our limited options.  I thought, how better to interact with the Brits than bringing an American game to them - plus a nice way to earn a little extra spending money - (we don't actually play for money, this is not allowed in the AOR).  I have some experience playing poker so I thought it would be a nice way to spend a couple of hours.  The photo above is of one Estonian (he is just behind me, which I'm surprised you can't see him as he is huge and was an Olympic caliber wrestler in Estonia), one Brit and five Americans.  Out of the seven of us, only one had actually played before.  So, I thought to myself, easy money (we don't actually play for money, this is not allowed in the AOR).  Well, this didn't turn out to be the case.  You see, when you first start playing Texas Hold'em you should really only play good starting hands - like Ace-Ace, Ace-King, etc.  Then when someone makes a raise most people know you have some good cards and they won't actually call when they are holding nothing.  However, when you are a beginner you get excited when you have 7-2 off suit and the flop comes and now you have a pair of 2's against my Aces.  I, of course bet big.  They, of course, call - because somehow those 2's in their mind are winning (I don't have time to go into odds of poker, but they are not).  Then the next two cards come and they are 7 and 2 - now giving my beginner friend a full house.  Of course, as some may know 7-2 off suit is the worst starting hand in all of Texas Hold'em, but now they are a full house and I have no way of beating him with Aces.  However, in my mind no one would ever play 7-2 off suit - well, at least no one that knows the rules.  Much to my chagrin, however, the Brits do play 7-2 off suit - all the time it turns out.  So let that be a lesson to you - the Brits cannot be trusted to do anything that makes sense - ever!  So, the most experienced player went out on the second hand and the Brit now think they are Texas Slim!  Thank goodness he's leaving soon, otherwise I would run out of money and patience (we don't actually play for money, this is not allowed in the AOR).
All for now.

2 comments:

  1. Too bad you don't play for money. Or maybe it's good, since you would have lost....money??

    ReplyDelete
  2. your best post yet! hilarious! will be joining you before long now!!

    ReplyDelete