Monday, August 15, 2011

The Brits say the damndest things (Part 1)



A popular saying in the British culture is that the English and the Americans are a people separated by a common language.  I have to say, I can't agree more.  The Scottish and Northern Irish notwithstanding (I actually don't even understand what comes from their mouths) the people of the UK (Wales and England) have a distinct, if not flowery language.  I've picked up a few of my favorite sayings in the past few months and would like to take occasion to attempt to describe them.  I would also like to make you aware of several things about the English that you may otherwise not know - all in jest, I assure you.  I do have to admit that most Brits have a very keen sense of humor, but it's a little more low brow than their demeanor might make you believe.

Aside from the obvious distinctions of what they call certain things, there are others that are more perplexing (the loo is a bathroom, as is an ablution, which sounds more like something you do in a Catholic Church while going through confession).  For instance, a theater is not a place to view movies, but rather the operating room.  On a number of occasions as the British attempt to tell a US Marine that they have to operate on them and then go on to say they are going to take them to the theater - well, you can guess what a 19 year old Marine would say to another man offering to take them to the movies and it's not fit for printing on this blog.
One of the terms that has entered my lexicon is 'manky' (pronounced main-key).  It can describe all number of gross things - like an infected wound, a full trash can, or when they wash their work out gear in the sink where I brush my teeth as they do nearly every day.
One of my favorite sayings is - 'You forget yourself, sir'.  This basically translates into F off, but sounds so much more dignified.  From now on when I get any anesthesiologist who back talks me - Bam - 'Why Doctor (fill in the blank), You forget yourself, sir/ma'am'.  I've been using it quite a lot lately.

Here are some other things I have noticed:
 - Their favorite American slang word is.....bullshit.
 - They think being called MF'er is a term of endearment - I have no idea who would tell them such things.
 - Michael Caine is their national hero. He starred in every British movie made from 1961 to 1995.
 - Brits actually make fun of Elton John more than we do.
 - Most of them actually do love the Beatles.
 - They actually like Rowan Atkinson.  Doesn't ring a bell?  Well, he's 'Mr. Bean' of course.  I find him quite annoying, however, apparently he was quite funny back in the day.  He had a show called Black Adder, which is a classic in the UK.  He starred with Hugh Laurie in this sitcom, who plays a dim witted Army soldier in the first world war.  I watched a couple of episodes and I was not impressed, but Hugh Laurie has come a long way.
 - They watch Darts on TV!  No, I'm actually serious.  They will literally sit for 3 hours at a time and watch two fat men throw darts at a wall.
 - One of their favorite movies of all time is Zulu (starring who else, but, you guessed it, Michael Caine). It is their 'Rocky'.  The story is about a small outpost of British soldiers (about 200) in the late 1800's that were attacked by over 3000 Zulu warriors in Africa.  They say the movie shows how valiant and brave their soldiers were and nearly 15 Victoria Crosses were awarded on that day (it is equal to our Medal of Honor).  What I say is that 200 men with rifles and canons will generally defeat 3000 half-dressed men with spears and wooden shields any day of the week and twice on Sunday.  Well played.
 - Although I can't confirm it, I really believe they think that they won WWII single handedly.

    I don't want to make this post too long, so next time I will tackle such things as:  shoewear, why a surgeon is called Mister, tea time, being called a Jack Wet, and of course Cricket.

All for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment