Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving, A-style



Regardless of the circumstances I had a lot to be thankful for this Thanksgiving.  I had friends and family from across the states send me well wishes on email and facebook - I even had several people send videos.  The food was a little to be desired, but last year I was having a TV dinner by myself in a hotel room in Maine. The thing I'm most thankful for, though, was that there were no casualties today, no phone calls home to inform mothers that their son was injured, no Chaplains showing up at a wife's door, no explaining to young children that their parents weren't coming home.  So, other than the brief time I spent under the table, it was a good day.

We did have a VIP visit yesterday.  Nick Swisher, from the New York Yankees, stopped by with his wife.  Apparently they spent their honeymoon in Afghanistan visiting the troops several months ago and decided to do it again.  They even stopped by Landstuhl in Germany and visited some of the injured troops waiting to go home.  Despite the fact that I hate the Yankees, I'm now a huge fan of Swisher.  I told him I was a Phillies fan and he said he would tell Chase I said hello next time he hit a home run and he ran by him.  I told him he would have to say hello during batting practice because that might be the only time his bat touched a ball.  


All for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment