Sunday, June 12, 2011

South Helmand Institute of Trauma

I'm not going to take credit for the monikers we use here for ourselves, but I thought it was quite humorous and wanted to pass them along.  Apparently, someone before me named this hospital the South Helmand Institute of Trauma and it was staffed with the British and American Surgeons of Trauma And Research Department Society.  Spell it out people.  If you need help with it then email me on my personal account.

It was a tough day here and it was a tough day to be a Marine in the Helmand Province.  However, I would be remiss if I did not mention how incredible the people here are.  I've worked at over 10 different hospitals and several big time trauma centers and this is by far the best crew I've ever worked with.  We don't have to worry about helping out because someone is always asking if they can lend a hand.  We don't have to worry about asking people to stay late, because they volunteer.  When a severely injured serviceman or woman comes in there are 20 people just waiting in the wings to do what they can to help.  We have British treating Americans, Estonians treating British, and Americans treating the local populations - there are no uniforms here!  I would say that you could take this team and insert it into any trauma center in the world and they wouldn't miss a beat.  But Kaiser can't do what we do!!  It's hard for me to wrap my head around what is going on out here, but what I know for sure is that these guys on the battlefield are getting world class care and if any team in the world can get them back home alive its this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment